Sunday, May 25, 2008

Louis Armstrong: Harlem Renaissance Musician


Louis Armstrong was one of the most influential people in music through the Harlem Renaissance. He was born in New Orleans and learned to play the cornet when he was at a boarding school. He is known to some as the father of Jazz.

One of his most famous songs, What a Wonderful World, was a very influencial piece of art during the Harlem Renaissance that helped represent that some people were still looking at the positives. Throughout the song, Armstrong represents a good morale in that while we are going through tough times now, things will get better and we have to make it a better place for our children. This embodies the main sense of the Harlem Renaissance because it was an evolutionary song that made people think differently. People used to conform, but songs during that period were being made based on own opinions and thoughts.

"I see trees of green........ red roses tooI see em bloom..... for me and for youAnd I think to myself.... what a wonderful world.I see skies of blue..... clouds of whiteBright blessed days....dark sacred nightsAnd I think to myself .....what a wonderful world.The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the skyAre also on the faces.....of people ..going byI see friends shaking hands.....sayin.. how do you doTheyre really sayin......i love you.I hear babies cry...... I watch them growTheyll learn much more.....than Ill never knowAnd I think to myself .....what a wonderful world(instrumental break)The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the skyAre there on the faces.....of people ..going byI see friends shaking hands.....sayin.. how do you doTheyre really sayin...*spoken*(I ....love....you).I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow*spoken*(you know their gonna learnA whole lot more than Ill never know)And I think to myself .....what a wonderful worldYes I think to myself .......what a wonderful world."

No comments: